How do I know if he’s in the “shu” (isolated)?

ash

How do I know if an inmate was thrown into solitary confinement in federal prison? All communication stopped abruptly, everything was fine for months… I’m so confused. He would have told me if something was going on. Would they have given him a chance to make a phone call or anything if he was caught with contraband?

Last edited:
Not really a way to know for sure. You could call the facility and ask, but they probably wouldn’t disclose.
I called earlier and all the guy told me was “if you go to our website you’ll find more information there,” after I specifically asked for the status of an inmate and whether they’re still allowed to take/make calls — didn’t say much else. I knew what the information on their website displayed and it obviously doesn’t include much more than the facility name and projected release date. However, that was his response after looking up the register number I provided when he asked for it. So, I would think that he looked up the register number and then resorted to the website thing. Do you have an opinion on what that means?

Well they won’t tell you directly (as you found out). But if you call and ask about visiting that inmate, they will tell you that there is no visitation if they are in the shu. Because if they are in the shu, there is no visitation.

Reactions: ash
How do I know if an inmate was thrown into solitary confinement in federal prison? All communication stopped abruptly, everything was fine for months… I’m so confused. He would have told me if something was going on. Would they have given him a chance to make a phone call or anything if he was caught with contraband?
I’m sure you figured it out by now. But if he or she is in the SHU you won’t know till they can write you & most of the time it will take 2 weeks to get writting supplies from commissary. And that is even if they arrived with their stuff & address books. A lot of times guards with blessings of prison throw all their stuff away. If they had paper stamps, pens its all gone. Make sure inmate has money in inmate account otherwise you’ll never hear from them.

Been there done that.

Good evening,
I have a relative incarcerated. I'm new to this group. Nice to meet you all. Wish it wasn't under these conditions but thank God for platforms like this.

No he would’ve have gotten a chance to call and all you can do is wait for him to contact you. It’s a sad situation and it hurts but time will pass before you know it and he will be home. Keep yourself busy as much as you can. He will be ok. I’m not sure how old this message is I’m sorry for just now responding I hope all is well

This is what I'm going through right now. It's been a week since I've heard from him and we talk almost every day. It's been a week. He said he was out of his monthly minutes but he would have been able to email. And I know him he would have found a way to call or write even if for a min. He's always found a way. So I'm wondering if maybe he was in a fight or something.

I’m sure you figured it out by now. But if he or she is in the SHU you won’t know till they can write you & most of the time it will take 2 weeks to get writting supplies from commissary. And that is even if they arrived with their stuff & address books. A lot of times guards with blessings of prison throw all their stuff away. If they had paper stamps, pens its all gone. Make sure inmate has money in inmate account otherwise you’ll never hear from them.

Been there done that.
I just got out after 8 years and when u go to the shu if you see dho before your phone minutes revalidate they can take your phone if not then you only get two 15 minutes calls in the shu and both have to be once you revailidate

I just got out after 8 years and when u go to the shu if you see dho before your phone minutes revalidate they can take your phone if not then you only get two 15 minutes calls in the shu and both have to be once you revailidate
Yes, I got a letter shortly after my last post saying he had went into lockup. He had lost all his possessions and would be able to call on the 3rd. That he would only get 2 calls a month. Luckily his cellmate gave him paper and an envelope to write or I would have been pulling my hair out by now. I'm just glad he's ok and didn't catch another charge.

I spent 10 months in the SHU and they only allow you one phone call a week (this was back in 2011) and if no one answered when they allowed you to call then you had to wait another week or more until the phone was brought back to your cell. You also had to wait to get any kind of writing materials and if you were indigent, the wait was even longer.

Back