Where is the 'best' Prison

Hello,
I have a friend (actually a nephew-in-law) who is facing 21 years in federal on some drug charges. He is mid 40's and non-violent, non-gang member. He has been sitting in county jail in Tennessee for 21 months and is about to hear his sentence. He wants me to try and find out which is the best (if there is such a thing) prison to ask for.
His thoughts are. Talladega, AL, Manchester KY, or Pensacola FL.

Anyone got any input on these choices?

Pensacola is a minimum security camp, so he won’t qualify for that location normally until he has 10 years or less remaining on his sentence. That being said, if he stays out of trouble while inside, he will qualify to transfer to a camp when he has 10 years remaining and a camp is really the best place (by far) to be when he can.

As far as which one to request now, they are all pretty similar. Personally I’d pick the one that was most convenient for friends/family to visit.

The good news is that any federal facility is going to be a lot better than a county jail, so he will be “upgraded”.

Thank you. I am not sure family is going to be that big of a factor. The closer he is to us is the nearest he will be to family that hasn't cut him out.

I think Alabama may be his best shot.

Hello,
I have a friend (actually a nephew-in-law) who is facing 21 years in federal on some drug charges. He is mid 40's and non-violent, non-gang member. He has been sitting in county jail in Tennessee for 21 months and is about to hear his sentence. He wants me to try and find out which is the best (if there is such a thing) prison to ask for.
His thoughts are. Talladega, AL, Manchester KY, or Pensacola FL.

Anyone got any input on these choices?
21 years! That's pretty stiff for drug charges! Did he have any mandatory minimums, firearms, or career criminal status?
Asking because the facilities you brought up are 2 mediums and a camp. His points are too high for a camp. And will be many, many years of keeping his head down and getting his points reduced until he will be able to get to that point.
He'll want to get into an RDAP program, which will allow a reduction in his overall sentence.

21 years! That's pretty stiff for drug charges! Did he have any mandatory minimums, firearms, or career criminal status?
Asking because the facilities you brought up are 2 mediums and a camp. His points are too high for a camp. And will be many, many years of keeping his head down and getting his points reduced until he will be able to get to that point.
He'll want to get into an RDAP program, which will allow a reduction in his overall sentence.
cass1000
I don't fully know the ins and outs of his case he is facing. I am only going on what he tells me. I believe he was previously in bother on drug charges but I don't think he served any time for them. If he did, it wasn't for very long. I can tell you that he did mention that he had a firearm in the house but I don't believe he was a felon at the time but I think that doesn't matter when drugs are involved. He is expecting his case to go to resolution in the next few months, but he is wanting to retain his right to appeal because the search warrant was for the wrong address and the police lied to get the warrant. The Franks hearing failed though so I am not sure how he can fight that.

Best regards

Back